Friday, October 9, 2015

Xin Er's Reflection

I remember the last time I went to Kampong Glam for a heritage trail was probably in Secondary school where it was compulsory for every class to go for one. Though I could not remember exactly where we visited at the trail, I remember that we visited a mosque and also ate at a hawker center.  Besides having fun with my classmates and buying some souvenirs, I do not think that the trip had left an impact on me nor I was able to draw any learning points. Hence when I found out that our group was going to Kampong Glam, I was also not very excited about it as I did not think that I was able to learn anything from it.

However, prior to the trip, each of us did some background research on the places that we are visiting and the sites that I had to research on were namely - Malabar Muslim Jama-ath Mosque, Alsagoff Arab School and Hajjah Fatimah Mosque. It was very interesting as prior to this, I did not know the existence of these places and I presume that even if I walked past these places before, I would also not be interested to find out more about them. However through the research, I discovered more about the rich history behind these heritage places that I would not have imagined. These places began to come to life to me as not just beautiful historical architecture but they serve to act as bridges to connect the past with me.

At the trail, we walked through many historical places and I began to understand more about life in the past. As we were required to answer some questions at each historical site, we had to make sure that we examine each site thoroughly to learn more about it. I was very thankful for this chance as I began to appreciate the preservation of these heritage sites. It gave me a glimpse of how life was like in the past. Also, it make me realise that these are places that hold a lot of significance to the people in the past and I believe it is something I would not be able to relate to unless I make an effort to understand the history behind each site. Thus, I came to see how I have been using a wrong perspective to view heritage sites as mere architecture and how its value and history lie on the external, as aesthetic buildings to be admired. However, the true significance of these places lies within them and the rich history behind them are only waiting to be discovered by us.


Figure 1: Bussorah Street

One of the things that I enjoyed at the trail was reading the information of the heritage site provided on the heritage board nearby. Usually they would show a picture of the site in the past. These pictures allow me to make a comparison between the past and the present of how these heritage sites have been preserved and also how the environment has developed. For instance, one of my favourite pictures would be the comparison between the past and present Bussorah Street (Fig 1). On the same street featuring the same Sultan Mosque, I can see how Singapore has progressed and developed over the years. Despite the fact that the Sultan Mosque is still the same as featured in the past, Kampong Glam has developed into a tourist attraction and a rich heritage sites with all the commercial shops mushrooming in this area. This also made me think of the people who used to live and walk on the same street as I am walking and their reason for being here at that time. 

Walking this trail makes me feel connected to a world larger than myself when I come to see how Singapore’s history and her cultural heritage are all intertwined with what she is today. This is also something I hope I would be able to inspire my students to see and appreciate next time when I bring them to heritage trails. I feel that this would be something that I would not be able to do so unless I have experience myself. And I am thankful that I have! J

No comments:

Post a Comment